Are You Getting Enough Exercise?
Many people today find getting adequate exercise difficult. There are so many conveniences that do not require effort on our part. From automobiles to elevators, we don’t need to expend a lot of energy to go where we want to be.
So, people need a little motivation. Like a friend to remind them to get a little exercise throughout the day. ora friend that tracks your heart rate when you do exercise.
Fitness Trackers Are Your FriendFitness trackers can help motivate you to get healthful exercise.
Authors Chelsea G. Bender, Jason C. Hoffstot, and Brian T. Combs, all from The George Washington University, in their article Measuring the fitness of fitness trackers wrote, “Data collected by fitness trackers could play an important role in improving the health and well-being of the individuals who wear them. Many insurance companies even offer monetary rewards to participants who meet certain steps or calorie goals.”
Fitness trackers have several advantages for healthy living:
- You have more control over your health and life because you can process and evaluate your own body’s data.
- You will have more fun and be more motivated to attain fitness or weight loss goals because you can see daily or hourly results.
- You will better be able to prevent chronic illnesses.
- You will be better able to support ongoing illnesses.
- You get continuous readouts of your heart rate so you don’t exceed your capability.
- Fitness trackers remember your activity accurately and don’t rely on subjective judgments.
- You get access to data normally available only from a personal trainer or in a medical office.
The data your fitness tracker gathers can motivate you to beat your old performance and increase your strength and stamina. You can also upload your data to share with others to compare your progress with the progress of your friends.
In addition, many fitness trackers provide positive feedback, congratulating you when you achieve or exceed your fitness goals. Most provide virtual merit “badges” for your accomplishments. They can also provide encouragement to complete your goals.
Most fitness trackers can be used at night to monitor your sleep. They can tell you how much deep sleep you get each night. With that information you can modify your sleep times to ensure you are getting enough recuperative sleep.
Fitness Trackers Are ConvenientFitness trackers are usually worn on your wrist like a watch. They provide a normal watch function and can replace your watch. Most have interchangeable wrist bands that can be switched for different occasions.
In addition, there is normally an app you can use on your smartphone, tablet, or PC that can access the data in your fitness tracker and display it in very readable formats. This makes it easy to see your progress over time.
The Dark Side of Fitness Trackers
Fitness trackers are always on and often in communication with your cell phone for GPS information and monitoring for incoming calls and messages. This means the fitness trackers emit a signal that can interact with other devices.
Authors Becker, Matt, Kolbeck and Hess in their article Understanding the Continuous Use of Fitness Trackers: A Thematic Analysis wrote that “privacy is threatened by the seamless integration of trackers with social networks and GPS tracked runs, which allow hackers to notice when a person leaves his home.” They indicated that 80% of the people they interviewed were concerned about their privacy.
While most people carry cell phones which can also be tracked, fitness trackers maintain personal health data. And since any electronic device open to the outside world can be hacked, there is a security risk.
Most fitness trackers are not waterproof. So they should not be used while swimming or in the shower.
Set Up the Fitbit App on a Mobile Device
Watch how easy it is to set up your fitness tracker.
Check Out the Popular Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Tracker
- PurePulse continuous, automatic wrist-based heart rate tracking to better measure calorie burn all day
- Maximize your workouts using simplified heart rate zones (Fat Burn, Cardio and Peak)
- See call, text & calendar notifications on the OLED display; Automatically track how long and how well you sleep and wake with a silent vibrating alarm
- Get a better understanding of your fitness level and see how you can improve over time with a personalized Cardio Fitness Score; Use Connected GPS during run mode to see real-time stats like pace and distance on your wrist
- Track all-day activity like steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes;Find moments of calm throughout your day with personalized guided breathing sessions based on your heart rate, Like all heart rate tracking technologies, accuracy is affected by physiology, location of device, and different movements.
- Sync stats wirelessly & automatically to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices.
- Operating temperature: 14 degree to 113 degree fahrenheit, Maximum operating altitude: 30,000 feet
To see more fitness trackers click here.